Point 0′ Woods Community Garden Plots Available
Anderson Field, at the corner of Walnut and Carrington Roads has not been used for the POW Recreation Program for several years, so an acre size community garden is being fenced in from deer and rabbits for Point O’Woods property owners use starting in 2020. Owners will be able to rent a 10 by 10 foot plot to grow vegetables and flowers for the current growing season.
The Garden’s guidelines are outlined in the Garden Rental Rules and Regulations:
- Plot renters must be Point O’Woods property owners.
- A Garden rental application must be submitted to the POW Office. The deadline for applications is May 14, 2020 but applications will be accepted after that date this season. A wait list will be made if there are too many applicants.
- Garden access will be limited to the hours between 7:30 AM and 8 PM, and should start on May 23rd and end in late October.
- Chemical pesticide and herbicide use is prohibited in the Community Garden plots.
- There is about a foot of soil over the rock ledge so rains will pool (mounded rows for planting are recommended). That said, the soil there is very fertile, and the site gets lots of sun. The test garden in 2019 did very well.
- We have a water supply arranged too.
- The end of the season is October 31, 2020: All use-able crops, weed mats, tools, and personal items must be completely removed from the garden area by October 31, 2020
Administration & Publications:
A member of the POW Board of Governors is designated as Grounds Commissioner and is responsible for the operation, maintenance and financial status of the Garden .
Community-Garden-Application 2021 will be posted by March 1, 2021